Friday, December 11, 2009

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

I love winter break; it gives me so much more time to read. I caught a little bit of the BBC miniseries Neverwhere, and I was intrigued enough to pick up a copy of the book. I was also still on a bit of a fantasy kick after reading The City of Dreaming Books. This was the first book I’ve read by Neil Gaiman, and it did not disappoint.

The basic idea of this book is what captured my attention most: London Below, which exists not only below, but also on top of and side-by-side in a sort of different dimension of reality and, occasionally, time, with the regular, old, boring city. In London Below, “Mind the Gap” is quite a strong warning, a Floating Market appears in Harrods every so often so people can sell curries and chicken bones, and Roman soldiers, angels (yes, those kinds of angels), giant beasts, vampiresses, Amazon women, and rat-speakers coexists alongside one another. Gaiman creates a dizzying world that is equal parts fantasy, sci-fi, and steampunk. My favorite part of his writing, though, is the fact that he never explains much of this world; it just is. I personally dislike it when authors attempt rationalize things that are, by definition, fantastical.

Gaiman is equally skilled at crafting convincing and complex characters from very little exposition. I loved both Hunter and the Marquis de Carabas, and to a lesser degree, Door and Richard. I found Hunter and the marquis to be exquisitely complex and mysterious characters, and I was aching to learn more about them. Door and Richard, our two protagonists, are certainly likable and sympathetic, but a bit two-dimensional. What can I say? I tend to like those characters that border between villain and hero much more than the obvious good guys.
Since I mentioned villains, let me just say: Gaiman’s villains are true villains. They are disturbing, frightening, and totally bat-shit crazy. The antagonists of this book are superbly crafted.

Overall, this was quite an enjoyable read. Although it’s not necessarily short, it was a fairly quick read. If you are looking for a modern-day fantasy adventure book, this would be a good pick. I’m looking forward to reading another book by Gaiman next.

No comments:

Post a Comment